This is a complete review of SoftEther with a guide to profit massively from this platform.
SoftEther is one of the most powerful and easiest VPN software in the world. It is freeware, developed as an academic research project at the University of Tsukuba, Japan
SoftEther Project is a software business that publishes a software suite called SoftEther VPN.
It is VPN software and includes features such as DNS leak protection, Multi-Language, Multi-Protocol, and remote access.
By the end of this review, you would have learned why this VPN is one of the best VPN services in terms of, pricing, unblocks, devices it can be used on, features, speed and performance, privacy, and security, encryption, etc.
I will keep it simple but concise and straight to the point. You will learn about its product and services offered.
Below is the breakdown of what I would be covering:
- About the Company (Overview)
- Devices you can use SoftEther VPN on
- Speed and Performance
- Price (Free or Paid version)
- Privacy and Security
- How to download and install SoftEther VPN
- Pros and Cons
1. About the Company (Overview)
SoftEther VPN (“SoftEther” means “Software Ethernet”) is one of the world’s most powerful and easy-to-use multi-protocol VPN software. It runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Solaris.
This VPN is open-source. You can use it for any personal or commercial use for free charge.
You can integrate from OpenVPN to this VPN smoothly. The VPN is faster than OpenVPN.
SoftEther VPN also supports Microsoft SSTP VPN for Windows Vista / 7 / 8. No more need to pay expensive charges for Windows Server license for Remote-Access VPN function.
2. Devices you can use SoftEther VPN on
SoftEther VPN can be used to realize BYOD (Bring your own device) on your business.
If you have smartphones, tablets, or laptop PCs, SoftEther VPN’s L2TP/IPsec server function will help you to establish a remote-access VPN from your local network. SoftEther VPN’s L2TP VPN Server has strongly compatible with Win and Android.
I am going to breakdown the features by numbering them. In that way you get an in-depth knowledge of this VPN. Below are the listed features,
- Free and open-source software.
- Easy to establish both remote-access and site-to-site VPN.
- SSL-VPN Tunneling on HTTPS to pass through NATs and firewalls.
- Revolutionary VPN over ICMP and VPN over DNS features.
- Resistance to the highly-restricted firewall.
- Ethernet-bridging (L2) and IP-routing (L3) over VPN.
- Embedded dynamic-DNS and NAT-traversal so that no static nor fixed IP address is required.
- AES 256-bit and RSA 4096-bit encryptions.
- Sufficient security features such as logging and firewall inner VPN tunnel.
- 1Gbps-class high-speed throughput performance with low memory and CPU usage.
- Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, and Windows Mobile are supported.
- SSL-VPN (HTTPS) and 6 major VPN protocols (OpenVPN, IPsec, L2TP, MS-SSTP, L2TPv3, and EtherIP) are all supported as VPN tunneling underlay protocols.
- The OpenVPN clone function supports legacy OpenVPN clients.
- IPv4 / IPv6 dual-stack.
- The VPN server runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X.
- Configure All settings on GUI.
- Multi-languages (English, Japanese, and Simplified-Chinese).
- No memory leaks. High-quality stable codes, intended for long-term runs. We always verify that there are no memory or resource leaks before releasing the build.
- RADIUS / NT Domain user authentication function
- RSA certificate authentication function
- Deep-inspect packet logging function
- Source IP address control list function
- syslog transfer function
4. Speed and Performance
Is the SoftEther VPN Protocol Fast?
Yes, it offers fast online speeds. According to the people behind the protocol, it was programmed with high performance and throughput in mind.
According to these results, it is faster than both OpenVPN and PPTP and is capable of a throughput of up to 900 Mbps.
It seems that SoftEther’s high speeds were also achieved because the developers focused on reducing the number of memory copies for every cycle of processing VPN packets (since a high number can decrease speeds).
Also, it uses a streaming tunneling mechanism to avoid dealing with the “MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) Problem.
5. Price (Free or Paid version)
Like most business software, this VPN doesn’t list pricing on their website.
It’s reasonably priced by all reports and has a multitude of plans based on platform, but it’s subjective if all of this is actually fiscally sound or not.
But from our findings, there is a free version. This VPN does not offer a free trial.
6. Privacy and Security
This VPN is not only an alternative VPN server to existing VPN products (OpenVPN, IPsec, and MS-SSTP).
The VPN has also original strong SSL-VPN protocol to penetrate any kind of firewall. Ultra-optimized SSL-VPN Protocol of SoftEther VPN has very fast throughput, low latency, and firewall resistance.
The VPN has strong resistance against firewalls than ever. Built-in NAT-traversal penetrates your network admin’s troublesome firewall for overprotection.
You can set up your own VPN server behind the firewall or NAT in your company, and you can reach that VPN server in the corporate private network from your home or mobile place, without any modification of firewall settings.
Any deep-packet inspection firewalls cannot detect SoftEther VPN’s transport packets as a VPN tunnel, because SoftEther VPN uses Ethernet over HTTPS for camouflage.
7. How to download and install SoftEther VPN
Below is a simple step to installing a SoftEther VPN on your windows. This step is very simple that a 10- year old can do it.
1) Start Installation.
2) Click “Next”
3) Choose “SoftEther VPN Client” and click “Next”
4) To continue to install SoftEther VPN on Windows check
5) On the “Important notice” screen click “Next”
6) Choose the directory to install the software and click “Next”
7) The installation process will start.
8) After the installation process is finished click “Finish”
9) Launch the SoftEther VPN Client Manager.
10) In the main screen click “Add a VPN connection”
11) A message box will appear asking if you want to create a Virtual Network Adapter. Click “Yes”
12) In the “New VPN Connection Setting Properties” window enter the following parameters: Setting type any name you want.
13) Host Name Add the IP address of the desired server (You can find all the available servers in Settings -> VPN Servers in your account on our website).
14) Click “OK” to create a VPN connection.
15) To connect to VPN right click on your VPN connection and click “Connect”
16) To disconnect SoftEther VPN on Windows right-click on your VPN connection and click “Disconnect”
8. Pros and Cons
- Its connections are extremely secure.
- It works across multiple platforms and is fairly easy to set up.
- Despite the high level of SoftEther security, the protocol is surprisingly fast.
- SoftEther is open-source (making it very trustworthy) and free to use as well.
- Since SoftEther uses port 443, it can’t be easily blocked with a firewall.
- Not many VPN providers offer access to this protocol.
- Even though it came out back in 2014, it’s still considered a relatively new protocol.
- It isn’t natively supported on operating systems and devices. Also, you might have to install additional software even when using the protocol from a VPN provider.
SoftEther is very secure, it works on tons of platforms, and it offers high online speeds and great stability as well.
Whether you want to access geo-blocked content, secure your online data on public WiFi, or just protect your Internet privacy from online surveillance, this VPN is a great choice.
This brings us to the end. Hope I left nothing out? If you enjoyed this article and appreciate the time and effort I put into developing it, let me know right away in the comment section.
Also, tell me:
Have you downloaded any VPN yet?
If not download and install this VPN, try it out, and let’s know your experience in the comment section.
Or maybe you have a question let me know in the comment section.
Don’t forget to share this article on social media, either Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- BeeVPN Review (2020)- The Comprehensive Guide - June 24, 2020
- Ultrasurf Review (2020): The Comprehensive Guide - June 5, 2020
- Private WiFi Review (2020): The Comprehensive Guide - May 30, 2020
- Connections are extremely secure.
- High level of security
- It works across multiple platforms
- SoftEther isn’t natively supported on operating systems and devices.
- Not many VPN providers offer access to this protocol.