Hoxx VPN is advertised as a VPN but is more like a proxy solution, not a very good one though. It accomplishes the primary mission of a proxy, which is unblocking content and bypassing censorships and restrictions.
But its privacy practices are highly invasive, the speed is poor, the encryption and content protection methods are outdated, and it does not allow torrenting or the use of Tor.
VPN1 LLC is the company that owns the Hoxx VPN service, which has American jurisdiction (under the “Five Eyes” surveillance pact.)
The service can provide anonymous browsing to some degree, tunneling your traffic to remote servers, but it logs too much information about your connection.
They say that they do it “to fight criminal activity”, but logging data and connection details on purpose goes against what VPNs represent.
By the end of this review, you would have learned all about Hoxx VPN
Below is the breakdown of what I would be covering:
- About the Company (Overview)
- Is Hoxx VPN proxy safe?
- Devices you can use Hoxx VPN on
- Is Hoxx VPN good for torrenting?
- Speed and Performance
- How to install Hoxx VPN for firefox
- How to add Hoxx VPN to chrome
- How to install Hoxx VPN on Android
- Price|is Hoxx VPN free?
- Privacy and Security| does Hoxx VPN keep logs
- Streaming – Does it unblock Netflix?
- Pros and Cons
1. About the Company (Overview)
Created by the company VPN1.com, it describes itself as “lightning-fast,” easy to use, reliably secure, and much, much more.
As usual with VPNs, the website makes a range of claims that sound appealing at first glance, but this VPN review will look at those promises in more detail.
Based in Coral Gables, Florida, Hoxx is an all-American operation, although it offers over 50 server locations dotted around the world.
While the website with outdated design and a bunch of broken links says that their number is increasing every week, after four months we saw no change.
Users can pick between free and premium accounts, and the focus is on browser extensions. This means that Hoxx is a proxy first and a VPN service second.
Anyhow, the only way to find out whether this VPN measures up against the competition is to put it to the test. So stick with our review for the low down on this privacy tool.
2. Features of Hoxx VPN |Is Hoxx VPN proxy safe?
Hoxx VPN is light on its security features. In fact, this is the only thing we could get about their security:
- end-to-end encryption
- 4096-bit RSA cipher (this is normally reserved for the Handshake, so it’s unclear whether this is an issue with communication or not)
- virus protection (how?)
- blocks on vulnerable ports (how?)
- protection while using public wifi spots (how?)
- blocks against cookie-based ad trackers (how?)
All that is encouraging, but nothing special for high-quality VPNs. Also, it’s pretty unclear how they are supposed to do any of these things.
The only thing we know: when a VPN is vague about how it’s supposed to keep you secure, it probably can’t.
3. Devices you can use Hoxx VPN on
This VPN supports the following platforms:
Some of the best things about this VPN are the browser extensions. That’s not really surprising given the company’s emphasis on browsing instead of emails or streaming.
The Windows version is 0.4.0 when Chrome has 3.5.4 which clearly shows where Hoxx is aiming at.
The browser extensions aren’t invasive so they won’t dominate your Chrome or Firefox menus.
All you see when logged in is a small reminder in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. And they are easy to download and setup.
While they won’t be much use to those who want to use this VPN for Netflix or torrents, these extensions are ideal web browsing beginners who need basic IP address protection.
4. Is Hoxx VPN good for torrenting?
The same applies to torrenting and P2P in general. As we noted earlier in this review, the developers of this VPN have tried to protect themselves from legal problems as much as possible.
One of the casualties of this approach is access to torrents with apps like uTorrent or BitTorrent.
Experienced VPN users will be familiar with the developers’ attitudes towards torrenting.
But most of the time this means they suppress torrenting speeds, without blocking torrents entirely.
That’s not the case here, which is why we cannot recommend Hoxx VPN for torrenting at all.
You can also check our guide on the Best VPN for Torrenting.
5. Speed and Performance
Speed is usually top of a prospective VPN buyers list, so let’s get this out of the way first.
You would expect a VPN to slow your internet speeds down somewhat, because of the extra processes involved.
We put this VPN to the test using three standard speed metrics
- Download speed: The rate at which data is transferred from the server to your device. This is measured in megabytes per second (Mbps) and a higher number is better.
- Upload speed: The rate at which data is transferred to the server from your device. This is also measured in megabytes per second (Mbps) and a higher number is better.
- Ping (or latency): Tested by “pinging” the server, it’s the amount of time it takes for it to receive and process your request. This is measured in milliseconds (ms) and a lower number is better.
We tested all three metrics on various servers across all the main continents.
We also ran a baseline test, using our default connection without a VPN. This was conducted using a 100mbps internet connection in Chicago, IL.
We also ran each test 5 times to increase the reliability of our results.
Unfortunately, Hoxx doesn’t currently have any servers in South America, so we couldn’t test this region.
6. How to install Hoxx VPN for firefox
1. Got to Hoxx VPN homepage.
2. At the download page, click Download under the Firefox icon.
3. Select Add To Firefox after being directed to the Add-Ons page.
4. Click Add when prompted for permissions.
5. Once the Hoxx Add-On is installed, choose your preferred language by clicking on the Hoxx icon.
6. Choose Sign-In and create a free account for Hoxx VPN.
7. How to add Hoxx VPN to chrome
1. Launch the Hoxx VPN homepage on your Chrome browser. Click Download on the menu.
2. On the download page, click Download under the Chrome icon.
3. You’ll be directed to the Chrome Extension Web Store. Select Add to Chrome for the Hoxx VPN proxy.
4. Choose Add Extension when prompted.
5. Click on the Hoxx icon on the browser and choose your language.
6. Sign in or create a free account to use Hoxx VPN on Chrome.
8. How to install Hoxx VPN on Android
1. Launch the Google Play Store and search for ‘hoxx VPN’. Tap on the Install button.
2. Open the Hoxx VPN app after the download is complete. Choose the language and tap Next.
3. Sign in with your credentials or create a free account.
4. You can now connect to Hoxx VPN on your Android device.
9. Price|is Hoxx VPN free?
This VPN comes both for free and by paying a subscription. It is, therefore, a “freemium” service.
The premium version costs only $1.99, which makes this VPN a very attractive option, at least price-wise.
Both free accounts and the premium come with unlimited bandwidth. The latter also comes with guaranteed speeds, although they are surely nothing to write home about according to our tests.
The free plan comes with 1024-bit encryption, and the premium implements the 4096-bit type.
The paid mode also has “better” customer support, no ads, and advanced malware filtering.
And here is the payment method and options,
10. Privacy and Security| does Hoxx VPN keep logs?
Hoxx VPN is using a 4096-bit RSA encryption. This used to be the encryption back in the day, impregnable and extremely secure in terms of its complicated algorithms.
In 2013, specialists were able to crack it using very simplistic tech. Now, the new top-notch security system used by all agencies around the world is the 256-bit AES standard.
No one has been able to decrypt it until now, and there were many attempts with much more sophisticated software than what the average Joe can get his hands on.
As if this wasn’t enough, this VPN uses HTTP tunneling or its browser add-ons and the Shadowsocks protocol for the Android and desktop apps.
In other words, it foregoes OpenVPN second-rate, even this protocol is considered to be the best VPN protocol to date.
The Shadowsocks is nothing else than a proxy, not a real VPN protocol so it obviously doesn’t have the same flexibility or versatility like genuine security encryption like OpenVPN.
Now that we’ve seen that the security protocols are outdated and straight-up garbage, let’s see if the VPN itself is trustworthy and whether it retains any user data.
For starters, VPN1 LLC, the parent company of Hoxx VPN, is based in the USA. As you might know, the USA is a part of the Five Eyes surveillance alliance.
As such, besides the CIA and the FBI keeping a close eye on your traffic, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand will also have access to your data in real-time.
As for the logging policy, the one thing I can say with positivity is that they are honest at least.
On the Frequently Asked Questions section on the official website, they’re explicitly saying that they do keep logs.
11. Streaming – Does it unblock Netflix?
Unfortunately, we couldn’t get Netflix to work with Hoxx VPN, which is a shame.
It looks like Hoxx is one of those VPNs which hasn’t invested enough time and expertise in creating workarounds to deal with Netflix’s beefed-up security measures.
We tried our hardest to log onto the video streaming site. No Hoxx VPN Proxy servers worked, so if you’re planning to use your VPN for entertainment purposes, steer well clear.
Instead, choose one of the best VPNs for Netflix for reliable access to Netflix from locations around the world.
12. Pros and Cons
- Free package comes with unlimited bandwidth
- Relatively cheap
- Good server selection
- Good speeds
- Clumsy payment system
- Doesn’t work for Netflix
- Doesn’t allow torrenting
- Doesn’t allow Tor
- DNS leakage risks
- Worrying logging practices
- Poor encryption
This VPN has a generous free version or a cheap Premium version with fairly high server numbers…..but it’s not worth it.
The Windows client doesn’t even currently work, and the Android app has a lot less servers and constantly leaks your IP.
The popular browser extension is indeed their best offering, but overall with such poor encryption and protocols, your data is not protected.
Even if it was, it wouldn’t matter too much with Hoxx recording everything you do with its abysmal logging policy.
To top it off, support is pretty useless.
Hoxx VPN gives the strong impression it cares little for its users.
With both Tor and torrenting not allowed, and no streaming access, this VPN has very little going for it.
This brings us to the end. Hope I left nothing out? If you enjoyed this article and appreciate the time and effort I put into developing it, let me know right away in the comment section.
Also, tell me:
Have you downloaded any VPN yet?
If not download and install a Hoxx VPN, try it out, and let’s know your experience in the comment section.
Or maybe you have a question let me know in the comment section.
Don’t forget to share this article on social media, either Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- BeeVPN Review (2020)- The Comprehensive Guide - June 24, 2020
- Ultrasurf Review (2020): The Comprehensive Guide - June 5, 2020
- Private WiFi Review (2020): The Comprehensive Guide - May 30, 2020