Finding the best VPN for Gaming can be difficult. In this post, I have listed out 5 best VPN for gaming.
That’s great, right?
So we’ve tested a bunch of the top VPN services to find out what impact they might have on your gaming experience to help you pick the right one for you.
If you’re someone who just happens to love latest games, this post is a great place to start.
Let’s get started!
Below is a list of what I will be covering.
- What is a VPN
- Criteria in Choosing Best VPN for Gaming
- Best VPN for Gaming
- Do gamers need VPN
- Benefit of a VPN for Gaming
- How To Set-Up Your Gaming VPN
- Free VPN for Gaming
Let’s go back a little:
Simple! (short for virtual private network) is an app you can download for your mobile or laptop that allows you to hide your location, identity, and IP address from the rest of the internet.
A virtual private network allows you to create a secure connection over a less-secure network between your computer and the internet.
It protects your privacy by allowing you to anonymously appear to be anywhere you choose.
What does this have to do with gaming, though? Well, a VPN might be useful if you want to play multiplayer but can’t find enough opponents in your area.
2. Criteria in Choosing Best VPN for Gaming
- A secure lock.
- Blazing-fast speed
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Lowest game prices
- Defend against DDoS attacks
- Unblock games online
For gamers, these are important criteria since use of a VPN will add latency and reduce speed, and various security features must be weighed with performance considerations in mind.
3. Best VPN for gaming
What makes the best VPN for gaming? As stated above, it has to be fast, reliable as it is secure, unlimited bandwidth.
It’s no good investing in something that’ll just slow down your connection during a firefight.
Hence, Take a look at the VPNs we’ve rounded up for you below
Surfshark-One of the best VPN for gaming
- Unlimited devices
- Impressive speed
- Top ping performance
Surfshark is one of the best VPN for gaming offering a great combination of lower ping than my non-VPN connection, and a relatively minor hit when it comes to overall download speeds.
Surfshark is known to offers access to an unlimited number of devices from a single account. And that’s pretty impressive considering the relatively low cost compared to some of its peers.
With Surfshark, you will be able to;
- Game in full privacy and security
- Hide your IP in Discord and other chats
- Access games & features without restrictions
- Protect yourself from DDoS attacks
For everything else Surfshark will happily remain practically unnoticed in the background while you do anything else with your PC.
It helped make my gaming experience reliable, with anecdotally fewer instances of dropped packets, and kept me safe while doing it.
The app is straightforward, the company offers a strict no-logs policy, and seems to be reliable on that front, and has neat features such as an optional kill switch (disabling your internet connection if the VPN drops for any reason).
How to setup Surfshark VPN for gaming;
Pick a plan that suits your needs.
Download your apps.
Create a Surfshark account & game on!
You only need 1 for all your devices.
With a 30-day money-back guarantee and unlimited device connections, you can try Surfshark out for yourself and see if it meets your gaming needs.
NordVPN- The best VPN for consistent upload speeds
- Top download and upload speeds
- Decent ping performance
- Netflix access
NordVPN, a Panama-based VPN, is one of the best VPN for gaming with excellent speed and Top download.
NordVPN continues to be one of the most popular VPNs in the world.
It has an assemble of military grade security features enhanced obfuscation protocols, including anti-DDoS servers, and a full-fledged security suite called CyberSec.
NordVPN includes everything from adblocking to expert malware protection.
With NordVPN, you will be able to:
- Access the world first game
- Protect yourself from DDoS attacks
- Avoid bandwidth throttling
NordVPN is recognized as one of the fastest services out there, making it one of the best VPNs for gaming in the business.
It also enables you to use gaming servers from anywhere in the world, cutting out the terrible ping times.
NordVPN is using the latest WireGuard VPN protocol, which it’s calling NordLynx.
It’s reportedly the fastest around and does seem to help it run consistently well.
How to set up NordVPN for gaming;
It takes only 3 simple steps to experience the internet freedom.
Download and subscribe to NordVPN
Connect to a server in a chosen location.
All set – games is now unlocked!
Not sure if this is what you need? Take your time to try the NordVPN service completely risk-free with 30-money back guarantee.
IPVanish- The best-value VPN for gaming
- Decent performance and power.
- Great server coverage
- Slightly pricier than others
IPVanish runs its own network and infrastructure, and this shows in terms of performance in our testing, we found this service up to five times faster than some rivals over short hops, with excellent download speeds.
This provider also offers a good number of servers in over 60 countries, and it’s easy to find a solid server indeed you can sort by ping time and usage options which allow you to hunt specifically for servers tailored for gaming
How to set up IPvanish for gaming with the lowest ping
Select the Server List option from the menu on the left side of our app.
Select the LIST tab and click on the Sort By dropdown menu and select Ping from the dropdown.
Now click on the bubble with a number in it, which shows the number of servers in that particular location.
Scroll down to inspect and select the server with the lowest ping and if possible, the lowest load.
This should be the fastest server (You are looking for the lowest number in the Ping column).
You can double click on the server in the list to connect to it immediately.
Return to the IPVanish Quick Connect screen using the menu on the left.
Once you have connected to IPVanish after making your selection, you should be connected to an IPVanish server with the lowest ping or latency.
A red Disconnect button will appear once you are successfully connected.
If you’re after a quality VPN service to run on your gaming machine, and potentially on nine other devices simultaneously, but don’t want to spend big, then IPVanish is a great alternative
With IPvanish, you will be able to;
- Protects your online privacy during gameplay
- Deliver to the fastest connections possible.
- Avoif throttling and bandwidth limit
- Access censored apps & websites.
It might not have the full feature set of Surfshark or NordVPN, but you do get 250GB of SugarSync encrypted storage and backup for free with a new subscription.
How to set up IPvanish for gaming;
Pick a plan that suits your needs.
Download your apps.
Create a IPvanish account & game on
The drawback here is pricing, as IPVanish is a bit more expensive than your average VPN.
There’s no free trial either, but subscriptions do come with a 7-day money-back guarantee. Out of the three available plans, the 1-year plan offers the best value-for-money.
ExpressVPN- Best all-round VPN for gaming.
- Servers available across the globe
- Great Chrome plugin
- Good choice of servers and locations
- Quality mobile apps
ExpressVPN is a VPN provider based in the Virgin Islands with a seriously fast network of 3,000+ servers in over 150 locations.
It also offers spotless privacy and a stern zero-logs policy.
With servers in a staggering 150 countries across the planet, if you’re looking to play with friends abroad, or find yourself travelling a lot, then ExpressVPN could be your best bet for a solid, secure, and relatively speedy connection.
With ExpressVPN, you will be able to;
- Get new games at the lowest prices
- Unblock restricted maps and skins
- Defend against DDoS attacks
- Game with freedom and security with a risk-free VPN
In addition, you get some great extras for gaming namely, the split tunneling feature allows you to precisely select the parts of your traffic you want encrypted. To cut it all, It is still a decent option for PC gamers.
How to set up ExpressVPN for gaming
Sign up for ExpressVPN and its blazing-fast service.
Connect to any one of 160 locations in 94 countries.
Play your favorite games with security and fewer restrictions.
ExpressVPN costs more than most VPNs and there’s no free trial available.
Take advantage of its risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee, however, If you’re not satisfied using ExpressVPN, contact Support within 30 days and get a full refund.
VyprVPN-Fastest overall VPN
- Superfast speeds
VyprVPN provides a proven VPN service that checks off many of the key features that gamers are looking for.
It is one of the fastest services, with great proprietary encryption technology, and has a very highly touted customer service team.
The service features a worldwide server network with plenty of locations and 200,000+ IP addresses, plus there’s a NAT firewall to block unrequested inbound traffic and a host of easy-to-use apps for almost every device.
With VyprVPN, you will be able to;
- Avoid less Lag and Defeat Throttling
- Play New Titles Early
- Game on a Faster Network.
Vypr achieves its goal very well: great speed and encryption at an affordable annual price.
This is appealing to gamers who are not only after the basic features of a VPN but want those basic features to be flawlessly executed.
If you want speed, look no further than VyprVPN. Give it a try!
How to set up VyprVPN for gaming;
Download VyprVPN and launch the application
Choose a server location.
Click Connect and connect to your VPN.
One point to bear in mind is that VyprVPN doesn’t do refunds on any grounds, but you can test the service with a free 30-day money back guarantee
4. Do Gamers Need VPNs?
A VPN for gaming? You’re probably thinking that’s a whacky idea that even if you used one of the best VPNs you would still end up with a slower connection and a higher ping time.
(Ping is the lag or delay of time your device takes to communicate with our server. Low ping reduces lag, resulting in a smoother and faster connection. Both of these are key for an enjoyable gaming experience online.)
A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, can be a powerful tool for securing your internet connection.
But even the best VPNs can interfere with your connectivity, sometimes to the point where your favorite PC game becomes laggy or even unplayable. Some games may even block you all together for using a VPN while playing.
This is why you should use one of our recommended Best VPN for Gaming.
- A good VPN service will keep you safe and secure, and can actually improve your ping results in-game.
- A good VPN will guarantee you with online security. If you don’t want a network tracking your every move then the best way to avoid that is to use a virtual private network.
- It will also help you get around geoblocking, handy if you want to unlock the purchase of a new game early or want to subscribe to a service only available in another country.
- Gamers using a VPN will also be able to connect to multiplayer servers in Korea or other territories that are sometimes closed off to them.
- Gaming on a VPN also protects gamers from DDoS attacks.
- Finally, using a VPN will let gamers purchase and play games not yet released in their own country, although all gamers should remember this may violate a game or service’s Terms of Service.
5. Benefits of a VPN for Gaming?
- First off, VPNs give you an added layer of security when using the internet by encrypting your data on your end before it leaves your device. In terms of gaming, it makes you safer from potential DDoS attacks. (which are Distributed Denial of Service).
- Another reason why gamers benefit from a VPN is unrestricted access. VPN technology gives users access to games and servers around the world. This is handy if you’re living somewhere with particularly strict access to a local online games market. So if you can’t access Steam or certain titles for PC gaming for example, a VPN can help with that.
- VPNs can provide a way to bypass low connection and methods of throttling, by reducing your ping time, and improving your overall download/ upload speeds.
- If you enjoy playing games like Battlefield, Fifa 18, PES 2018, , Tanki Online, Game of Bombs, Die 2 Nite, League of Legends, Polycraft, , Wonderputt, Overwatch, etc you should use a VPN for its added safety, privacy, anonymity, and a high chance of lower ping times.
6. How To Set-Up Your Gaming VPN
To show you how easy it is to get started with a VPN, we’ll use NordVPN as our example.
Set Up a VPN on iOS
- Sign up for an NordVPN subscription on its website
- Download and install the NordVPN app for iOS. It works for iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- Connect to the server and country of your selection.
- Done! Now you can enjoy VPN encryption on your iOS devices.
Set Up a VPN on Android
- Register for an NordVPN subscription on its website.
- Download and install the NordVPN app for Android on your smartphone or tablet.
- Establish a connection with the server and country of your choice.
- Done! Now you can enjoy VPN encryption on your Android devices.
Set Up a VPN on Windows
- Go to the NordVPN website and subscribe.
- Download and install the NordVPN VPN app for Windows on your device.
- Connect to the server and country that you desire.
- Done! Now you can enjoy VPN encryption on your Windows devices.
7. Free VPN for Gaming
Moving forward on this article on the Best VPN For Gaming, we have to make it clear that a free VPN is free.
However, while they are called “free” they might actually end up costing you in other ways.
Bandwidth – almost all free VPNs restrict your bandwidth in some fashion. Hopefully, this is not a surprise to you. After all, you’re not paying for the service.
Advertisements – free VPNs need to pay for the service somehow and they primarily do that through ads.
This can be extremely annoying, to say the least, especially when it interrupts you in the middle of the game. Get rid of them by using a Paid VPN.
Server locations and speed – free VPNs simply do not offer the same number of servers that commercial VPNs do.
Security & Malware – sadly another cost that you need to consider is your own privacy. Most free VPNs do not guarantee a zero-logging policy.
Basically, this means that one of the primary reasons for using VPN privacy is removed.
The worst part of all, at least for online gamers, is that free VPN services are substantially slower than paid alternatives.
So, if you are looking for a VPN to play online, choose one from a reputable brand.
They are not overly expensive, and they don’t come with any bandwidth limitations whatsoever!
Therefore is advisable to avoid free VPN for Gaming as much as possible!
Always Remember that the best gaming VPN will help you make the most out of your time on your favorite title’s online server.
You’ll be able to access all the content in the game you paid for, regardless of where you located.
You can also avoid performance issues from online security threats and keep all your gaming habits private.
So, Tell me…
Do you need any assistance with VPN for Gaming
or Do you have recommendations,
Do not hesitate on dropping a comment below.
Also, feel free to share the article with your friends/family members.
Have a lovely day ahead.
Adios amigos! ?